First Float Column
22nd-26th September 2014
3 workshops during the 29th EU-PVSEC Conference and Fair (Amsterdam, The Netherlands), plus the new Task 15 on BIPV definition workshop.
About IEA PVPS
- The IEA Photovoltaic Power Systems Programme (PVPS) is one of the collaborative R&D Agreements established within the IEA and, since its establishment in 1993, the PVPS participants have been conducting a variety of joint projects in the application of photovoltaic conversion of solar energy into electricity.
- The 29 PVPS members are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Copper Alliance, Denmark, EPIA, European Union, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, SEIA, SEPA, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States.
- How to participate?
- 27 August 2014 - the first eleven 2013 National Survey Reports of PV Power Applications are now available. More info.
- 3 June 2014 - REN21, the Renewable Energy Network for the 21st Century has published its new Global Status Report. More info.
- 2 June 2014 - EPIA, the European PV Industry Association and long term IEA-PVPS member has published its new Global Market Outlook report on PV markets until 2018. More info.
- 2 June 2014 - Three new reports on Performances and Reliability of PV systems are published during the Intersolar Munich Conference and Exhibition. More info.
- 29 April 2014 - The 2013 IEA PVPS Annual Report is now available. More info.
- 22 April 2014 - The presentations of the Task 14 workshop in Geneva and Task 13 workshop in Freibourg are now available. More info.
- 31 March 2014 - The 2nd edition of the IEA-PVPS Snapshot report is now available. More info.
- 26 March 2014 - Thailand joins the IEA-PVPS program and becomes its 29th member.
- See all news
Editorial - 27 August 2014
National Survey Reports
2013 was another record year for PV installations and 2014 looks even more positive with a growing demand in many regions of the World. IEA-PVPS has collected and analyzed information related to PV markets and industry development for more than 20 years and this will continue. The National Survey Reports, prepared by national administrations or local PV experts detail the main evolutions that happened in a country the year before. But the most interesting aspect of PV development in 2013 was the remarkable development of Asian countries and the speed at which the knowledge about PV potential is disseminated in dozens of new countries, triggering development plans.
These developments shows that the old recipe started ten years ago in Europe are used again: feed-in tariffs and tax breaks are still driving a very large part of the PV installations all around the world. Markets driven by net-metering schemes are emerging and, where PV has already reached grid-parity with retail electricity prices, markets partially driven by installations self-consuming a large share of their PV electricity are unlocking new challenges and questions. In order to avoid repeating some mistakes done in the last years in several countries, National Survey Reports allow to better understand the evolution of national policies, with a focus on market development policies, but also industry developments, and R&D policies.
All details about what happened in 2013 in key PV markets is now available in the National Survey Reports already published.
These reports are available here.
(New) Review of Failure of PV Modules
One key factor of reducing the costs of photovoltaic systems is to increase the reliability and the service life time of the PV modules. Today’s statistics show degradation rates of the rated power for crystalline silicon PV modules of 0.8%/year. To increase the reliability and the service life of PV modules one has to understand the challenges involved. For this reason, the international Task 13 expert team has summarized the literature as well as their knowledge and personal experiences on actual failures of PV modules.
The report can be found here.
(New) Analytical Monitoring of Grid-Connected PV Systems
This report focuses on the analytical assessment of photovoltaic (PV) plant performance on the overall PV system level. In particular, this report provides detailed guidelines and comprehensive descriptions of methods and models used when analyzing grid-connected PV system performance.
The report can be found here.
(New) Characterisation of Performances of Thin-Film PV Technologies
Although thin-film photovoltaic (PV) modules have been in production for decades, the characterization of their performance, both outdoors and under artificial light, remains a topic of active research. This is because the field contains a diverse set of PV technologies, each of which has physical differences from conventional crystalline silicon PV. These differences range from different temperature coefficients to complex short-term or seasonal transients in performance. This report summarizes the nature of these special behaviours and demonstrates best practices for handling them in the context of several case studies.
The report can be found here.
2013 IEA PVPS Annual Report
The IEA Photovoltaic Power Systems Programme IEA PVPS is pleased to present its 2013 annual report. 2013 has been a turning point in many aspects for the global development of photovoltaics and this Annual Report reflects such evolution.
This document summarizes the actions of member countries and the activities in all research programs (tasks).
The report can be downloaded here.
A Snapshot of Global PV 1992-2013
The new 2014 Edition of the IEA PVPS report A Snapshot of Global PV is now available. This edition presents preliminary market figures in 2013 in the IEA PVPS member countries and many others. It shows that at least 37 GW of PV systems were installed in the world in 2013.
Visit the Snapshot page on this website and find the 2 editions of the report.
Trends in Photovoltaic Applications - 2013 Edition
The new 2013 Edition of the IEA PVPS report Trends in Photovoltaic Applications is now available. This edition browses 20 years of PV installations in the IEA PVPS member countries and many others. Policies to support PV deployment, industry development and the integration of PV in the power sector are analyzed in depth in this report.
Visit the Trends page on this website and find the 18 editions of the report.
Photovoltaic and Solar Forecasting Report
This report provides a snapshot of the state of the art of solar and PV forecasts for time horizons ranging from a few minutes ahead to several days ahead. Diverse resources are used to generate solar and PV forecasts, ranging from measured weather and PV system data to satellite and sky imagery observations of clouds, to numerical weather prediction (NWP) models which form the basis of modern weather forecasting.
The report can be found here.
Rural Electrification with PV Hybrid Systems - 2013 (English / French)
- Rural Electrification with PV Hybrid systems - T9 - 11072013 - Updated Feb2014
- With decreasing PV prices, PV / diesel hybrid minigrids attract significant attention from institutions in charge of rural electrification and donor agencies - to mitigate fuel price increases, deliver operating cost reductions, and offer higher service quality than traditional single-source generation systems. The combining of technologies provides interesting opportunities to overcome certain technical limitations.
Written by Gregoire LENA (IED), this publication aims to present the state of the art situation of PV / diesel hybrid systems for rural electrification and to highlight the main remaining issues – from the design, technical and implementation perspectives.
2014/02/27, 2.1 MB, Grégoire Lena - IED
- Mini-réseaux hybrides PV-diesel pour l'électrification rurale
- L’état des lieux de la technologie des systèmes hybrides PV-diesel destinés à l'électrification rurale est présenté et les principaux enjeux actuels – relatifs à la conception, aux aspects techniques et à la mise en oeuvre de ces systèmes – sont abordés et analysés. Des conseils sont formulés à destination des décideurs afin de favoriser une prise de décision éclairée en matière de systèmes photovoltaïques hybrides pour l'électrification rurale. Les spécificités des systèmes hybrides sont explicitées, les marchés et les paramètres technico-économiques pour la planification des projets sont décrits. Enfin, les questions liées à la durabilité des systèmes hybrides et à leur développement effectif sont examinées.
2014/02/27, 2.5 MB, Grégoire Lena
(New) National Survey Reports 2012
National Survey Reports detail the status of PV incentives, combined with market and industry development in 2012 in the IEA-PVPS countries. These NSR, together with the previous editions, can be found here.
These reports are used as a basis for the "Trends on PV application" publication.
Annual Report 2012
- Annual Report 2012
- IEA PVPS Annual Report 2012
2013/04/30, 3.2 MB, IEA PVPS
Snapshot of Global PV 1992-2012
- PVPS Report - A Snapshot of Global PV - 1992-2012
- Preliminary information from the IEA PVPS Programme
2013/05/06, 1.3 MB, Gaetan Masson
Pico Solar PV Systems for Remote Homes
- Pico Solar PV Systems for Remote Homes
- A new generation of small PV systems for lighting and communication
The concept of pico PV systems and their application in real-world circumstances are explained. The importance of understanding the dynamics of the demand side of this market is clearly elaborated, as are the nature and supply of the products, their economics, and experience with various business models. There are clear lessons for the roles that should be played by governments, donor bodies and others in the markets for pico PV products and services,
essentially as providers of appropriate institutional frameworks and information.
2013/05/21, 1.7 MB, Erik H. Lysen (IEA PVPS Task 9)
Energy from the Desert - 2013 Edition
- Energy from the desert
Very Large Scale Photovoltaic Power - State of the Art and Into the Future
2013/04/29, 9.7 MB, K. Komoto et al